August 3rd may seem like any other day, but lo and behold, it's actually that special seed-spitting holiday—National Watermelon Day! Here's how you and your kids can celebrate all things watermelon:
• Make a unique watermelon fruit salad: Carve up a Hippo Safari Watermelon.
• Prepare a Watermelon Oat Crumble.
• Create a new kind of fruit cake, using only fruit (and whipped cream and sugar) that's in the shape of a star: A Star Watermelon Cake Recipe.
• Build a Rubik's Cube, made entirely of food: Watermelon Rubik’s Cube®.
• Watermelon, white chocolate, coconut, and whipped cream combine to make these Snow Capped Mountains.
• Bake these "watermelon cookies", courtesy of Amanda's Cookin' blog.
• Bring your kids to Imagine That on the 28th and 29th so they can create a watermelon craft: Delicious Watermelon. ($9.95 per child, $7.95 per adult.)
• Now that you have all of these watermelon recipes to make, you'll need something to eat upon. Craft a paper plate that looks like a watermelon; your kids will love eating their watermelon snacks off of a watermelon plate! About.com shows how to make a Paper Plate Watermelon (photo by Sherri Osborn).
• Play with clay: while the kids are waiting to eat, have them shape their own watermelons.
• Learn how to make a watermelon key chain from this video from simplekidscrafts.com:
• Use this video to create a page out of your own coloring book. Have your kids color in the watermelon picture or draw it themselves! How to Draw a Watermelon Slice
What are your family's favorite watermelon recipes and crafts? Comment below!