1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
6 large strawberries, cored, sliced lengthwise into 4-5 pieces to resemble hearts
- Whisk the egg, buttermilk and oil in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Heat a large pan or griddle over medium heat and grease with butter or oil.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of the pancake mixture onto the griddle, gently press a strawberry slice onto the top and cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
Note: If you do not have buttermilk you can make it by adding 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. This mix also works beautifully with any type of milk you prefer!
Catherine McCord is the co-founder of One Potato and the founder of Weelicious. A graduate of the Institute of Culinary Education, she has created online how-to videos that have amassed more than fifty million views and celebrities like Jennifer Garner, Sarah Michelle Gellar & Keri Glassman, RD, swear by her food as a medicine approach to healthy tonics. She has written three cookbooks including her latest Smoothie Project. She has appeared on TODAY, Good Morning America, California Live, The Kelly Clarkson Show, The Doctors, and is a regular on the Emmy-winning NBC show Naturally, Danny Seo as well as Food Network’s #1-rated Guy’s Grocery Games. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband and three children.