In New Jersey, September is all about apples. And, September 26 is the birthday of Johnny Appleseed himself, so what better time to celebrate all things apple!
- Go apple picking at one of more than 20 places in New Jersey with pick-your-own orchards.
- Make a handprint craft of an apple tree, just follow the directions here.
- Bake an apple dessert. Southern Living has 10 tempting recipes.
- Make an apple print. AlphaMom.com tells you how to make an apple print backpack (shown in photo) but you could put apple prints on paper, too.
- Create a edible apple fun with ideas like the Aussie Apple, the Spiderman Apple, and Apple Froggies.
- Read an apple-themed book with your kids – a few favorites include Ten Apples Up on Top by Theo LeSieg (aka Dr. Seuss), One Red Apple (written by New Jersey resident Harriet Ziefert and illustrated by Karla Gudeon), and Johnny Appleseed: The Legend and the Truth (by Jane Yolen), which is geared towards young readers ages 5 to 9.