EDGEWATER STATS AT-A-GLANCE
• Founded in 1894 as Borough of Undercliff; its name changed to Edgewater in 1899
• Population: 12,044
• Median Home Price: $533,700
• Median Rental Cost: $2,174
• Average Household Income: $102,355
• Brownstone Pancake Factory: There’s no shortage of breakfast gold here, like the Berry Sour Bliss topped with house-made blueberry compote.
• Haven: Stellar views of the Manhattan skyline (not to mention dreamy lobster risotto) make this spot a date night fave.
• Pier 115: This waterfront locale serves everything from wood fire pizza to duck sticky buns.
• Kuppi Coffee: This mod café brews artisanal cups of joe and high-end teas, plus uses local milk from Salem, NY.
• The Hudson River Waterfront Walkway is an 18.5-mile path that stretches from Bayonne to the George Washington Bridge. It’s perfect for a scenic bike ride or walk along the river.
• Score some wagyu beef, Pocky or organic tofu at the beloved Mitsuwa Marketplace. Inside, you’ll find real-deal ramen at Santouka, rice balls at Omusubi Gonbei and dessert at Matcha Love and KAI Sweets.
• Edgewater Marina: Hop the NY Waterway ferry to Manhattan, sit by the water or take in a summer concert.
• The Edgewater Arts and Music Festival: It’s Bergen County’s biggest art competition, complete with live music and local bites.
• City Place at the Promenade: The high-end outdoor shopping and residential complex is a popular hangout.
• Veterans Field: A 28-acre spread of grass, playground, splash park and turf, it’s a mainstay for little leaguers, basketball players, football teams and walkers alike.
• Edgewater was once the home of a Ford automotive plant and a processing location of coal tar. Another claim to fame? It’s where Dove soap was invented.
• Keep an eye out for little green birds atop utility poles around town; legend has it that four decades ago a colony of Quaker parrots (also known as monk parakeets) escaped from a shipping crate at JFK Airport and made its way to Edgewater.
Population is based on 2016 US Census data. Average home sale price and rental costs are based on 2017 NJ Division of Taxation data. Median household income is based on 2012-2016 US Census data.