If the kids were inspired by watching the amazing rock climbers on the Olympics (especially during the speed drills), they can try their hands at scaling walls at some of these awesome places around the state. Even if they don’t have gold medal ambitions, climbing can teach them strategy, strength and just burn off some of that endless energy and give them something fun to do on a rainy day.
Kids often need a belayer, meaning someone to control the ropes. Most gyms don’t let guests belay until they’re teenagers. You can take a one-time lesson at some facilities and belay for them, or a staff member can do it. Call at least 24 hours in advance to check belayer availability.
If your child falls in love with rock climbing, find out about the facility’s membership packages, monthly passes, classes, camps and teams. It just might be the activity that propels her to new heights!
- Rock wall at the Milton and Betty Katz JCC, Margate; 609-822-1167; contact the front desk for a reservation.
- The Gravity Vault, Upper Saddle River; 201-934-7625, ages five and up
- High Exposure Rock Climbing, Northvale; 201-768-8600, all three and up
- Elite Climbing, Maple Shade; 856-273-1370, ages 6 and up
- The Gravity Vault, Voorhees; (856) 888-2814, ages five and up
- The Gravity Vault, Montclair; 973-928-7675, ages five and up
- New Jersey Rock Gym, Fairfield; 973-439-9860, ages 5 and up
- The Gravity Vault, Hoboken; 201-740-1423, ages five and up
- Liberty Science Center, Jersey City; 201-200-1000, call for age requirements
- The Gravity Vault, Flemington; 908-237-3249, ages 5 and up
- Rockville Climbing Center, Hamilton; 609-631-7625, ages 7 and up; reservations required
- The Gravity Vault, Middletown; 732.856.9599, ages five and up; climbing by appointment only
- Garden State Rocks, Morganville; 732-972-3003, ages 5 and up
- Diamond Rock Gym, East Hanover; 973-560-0414, call ahead for ages
- The Gravity Vault, Chatham; 973-701-7625, ages five and up
- Randolph Climbing Center, Randolph; 973-598-8555, call ahead for ages
- The Gravity Vault, Brick; 848-241-3523, ages five and up
- Elite Gymnastics, Hawthorne; 973-423-4040, ages 3 and up
- Somerset Hills YMCA, Basking Ridge; 908-766-7898, open to all ages
- Summit YMCA, Summit; 908-273-3330 ext. 1196, programs for kids ages five and up