Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 14 minutes
1 3/4 cups cornmeal
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 veggie hot dogs, cut into 1/2-inch coins (you can also use turkey or beef)
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey, buttermilk, eggs and oil.
- Pour the dry cornmeal mixture into the wet ingredients and thoroughly combine with a whisk.*
- Grease muffin cups with cooking spray, softened butter or oil on a paper towel and then pour one tablespoon batter into greased mini muffin cups. I use two 24-cup mini muffins pans!
- Lay hot dog slices cut-side down in the center of each batter-filled muffin cup.
- Top with an additional tablespoon of batter.
- Bake until starting to turn golden, about 14 minutes.
- Add popsicle sticks after baked and serve.
* Boxed cornbread mix also works great in this recipe. Follow the directions of the boxed mix, prepare enough batter to yield at least 40 mini muffins and skip to step 5 to continue making the bites.
Catherine McCord is the co-founder of One Potato and the founder of the popular Weelicious brand, a trusted content resource synonymous with family and food. A graduate of the Institute of Culinary Education, she has created online how-to videos that have amassed more than fifty million views and celebrities like Jennifer Garner, Sarah Michelle Gellar & Keri Glassman, RD, swear by her food as a medicine approach to healthy tonics. She has written three cookbooks including her latest Smoothie Project. In addition to gracing magazine covers and Victoria’s Secret runways as a model, Catherine has appeared on TODAY, Good Morning America, California Live, The Kelly Clarkson Show, The Doctors, and is a regular on the Emmy-winning NBC show Naturally, Danny Seo as well as Food Network’s #1-rated Guy’s Grocery Games. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband and three children.