Try this Sweet and Salty Popcorn Party Mix, which offers a little bit of something for everyone. The mix combines some healthful whole grains (popcorn chief among them) and nuts with an addictive sweet coating. The only fighting will be over who takes the last handful.
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 2 cups miniature pretzel twists (or another small pretzel shape)
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup peanuts
- 2 cups rice, wheat or corn cereal squares
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place popcorn, pretzels, pecans, peanuts and cereal in a very large bowl; set aside.
- Heat butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Stir mixture over medium heat until it begins to boil. Boil 3 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda (mixture will foam).
- Pour syrup over popcorn mixture in bowl and stir until evenly coated. Pour mixture onto a large, rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan. Bake 30 minutes, stirring twice during baking time. Stir mixture a few times as it cools on baking sheet.
- Store in an airtight container.
Reprinted with permission from The Popcorn Board.