It may be hard to pull the kids away from YouTube and TikTok, but from April 29-May 5, the Screen-Free Week challenge is a great way to get them to step away from their phones and look less like a zombie who only looks up occasionally.
Screen-Free Week is all about promoting exploration, play and life experiences—from time spent outdoors to doodling to having a conversation. It’s an opportunity for everyone in the family to spend face-to-face time together.
Remember, this special week is about stepping away from screens for entertainment, so you and the kids can still use them for homework or your job.
Not sure where to start? Here are some ideas to help you unplug:
- Try a family game night (here’s a few ideas!)
- Put on your sneakers and take a hike around NJ trails
- Visit a garden, nature center or arboretum (they’re in bloom!)
- Take a trip to a national or state park
- Hit the road for a tri-state day trip
- Go chasing waterfalls
- Go birding in your own backyard
- Spend some time at an outdoor hidden gem
- Plan a scavenger hunt
- Sign the kids up for a cooking class
- Take the kids out for an evening of bowling
- Work their minds at an escape room
- Get reading or hit a local library program
- Think of ways to give back and volunteer within your community
- Hop on a zip line or try an obstacle course
- Stop by an arcade, nature center or museum