Where can you dig for fossils, examine shipwrecks’ treasure, and rehabilitate and return injured animals to the wild? New Jersey! Discover all this and more using Science Near You, an innovative web application created by Liberty Science Center.
“We are proud to delight learners of all ages with the excitement of science and technology—and we’re not alone!,” says Paul Hoffman, president and CEO at Liberty Science Center. “From zoos and aquariums to aviation museums and technology clubs, New Jersey offers nearly endless opportunities for families to explore the world of science together.”
Science Near You allows users to enter their address, decide how far they want to travel, choose their favorite topics, and get going! What might they find?
- New Jersey’s very own bug museum, Insectropolis (Toms River)
- Dazzling displays of fluorescent minerals and opportunities to collect fossils at the Sterling Hill Mining Museum (Ogdensburg)
- Astronaut-in-training opportunities at the Buehler Challenger & Science Center (Paramus)
- Packs of tundra, timber, and arctic wolves at the Lakota Wolf Preserve (Columbia)
- 10,000 species of seashells at the Discovery Seashell Museum (Ocean City)
- Thomas Edison’s laboratory complex and 29-room mansion at the Edison National Historic Site (West Orange)
- Aircraft displays and interactive exhibits at the Naval Air Station Wildwood Aviation Museum (Wildwood)
- Far-reaching environmental education opportunities provided by the New Jersey Audubon Society (multiple locations)
- Animals from around the globe at America’s most touchable aquarium, the Adventure Aquarium (Camden)
- Knowledgeable naturalists like the staff at Warren E. Fox Center (Mays Landing)
- Eight galleries with hundreds of exhibits, live science, and the nation’s largest IMAX Dome Theater at Liberty Science Center (Jersey CIty)
- Hundreds of other opportunities at museums, libraries, nature centers, summer camps, lighthouses, parks, and more!
Generously supported by a grant from the Overdeck Family Foundation, the site is free of charge. Liberty Science Center hopes Science Near You will help connect more NJ families with all of the great science-rich experiences offered throughout the state.