Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups Mexican cheese or a mix of Monterrey jack, mozzarella and cheddar
1 teaspoon nacho, taco or fajita seasoning
1 16 ounce bag tortilla chips
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 bell pepper, diced
1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup guacamole, or 1 ripe avocado, cut into chunks
1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan on low to medium heat.
2. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk until it thickens creating a roux, about 1-2 minutes.
3. Add about 1/2 cup milk whisking continuously until milk is absorbed and then add remaining milk. Continue cooking and stirring until bubbles start to appear.
4. Add cheese and taco seasoning to the roux and stir until mixture is melted and combined.
5. Place the chips on a 1/2 sheet pan.
6. Top chips with the nacho cheese mixture followed by beans, bell pepper, corn, tomatoes and guacamole, pickled onions and lime. You can also top with optional ingredients.
Catherine McCord is the co-founder of One Potato and the founder of the popular Weelicious brand, a trusted content resource synonymous with family and food. A graduate of the Institute of Culinary Education, she has created online how-to videos that have amassed more than fifty million views and celebrities like Jennifer Garner, Sarah Michelle Gellar & Keri Glassman, RD, swear by her food as a medicine approach to healthy tonics. She has written three cookbooks including her latest Smoothie Project. In addition to gracing magazine covers and Victoria’s Secret runways as a model, Catherine has appeared on TODAY, Good Morning America, California Live, The Kelly Clarkson Show, The Doctors, and is a regular on the Emmy-winning NBC show Naturally, Danny Seo as well as Food Network’s #1-rated Guy’s Grocery Games. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband and three children.