When the power goes out during a storm, we’re forced to use portable generators or other sources of power that can emit harmful carbon monoxide (CO)—an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you. The gas is found in fumes produced by things like generators, lanterns, gas stoves and burning wood. These sources can cause CO to build up, which can poison people and pets. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at least 430 people die each year in the US from accidental CO poisoning and about 50,000 are hospitalized. Keep your family safe by changing the batteries in your CO detector every six months, not using an oven or gas range to heat your home and never leaving the car running in your garage.