Pamper guests at your child's next birthday party with a spa-tacular party. Host a home spa party this season where everyone can enjoy some aromatic and sensational delights including fruity facial scrubs and fabulous foot soaks. Here are a few ways to start soaking up some fun.
Begin with a "pink and pretty" or a "glam and glittery" invitation that you can design in the shape of a lipstick or a compact case by using a printable coloring sheet. Google images provides some great resources for this. Include a message such as "Let’s get pampered on a special day as we celebrate Christina’s 11th birthday! Join us for facials and more and all the things girls simply adore!"
Diva Decorations and Stations
Create the ultimate spa environment with soft background music and scented candles. Then add bouquets of fresh flowers and herbs, such as mint and rosemary sprigs and roses or hydrangeas, arranged in vases around the party room. Enlarge spa theme words like "diva," "beautiful," and "chic" in big bold letters from your computer to create word art. Buy inexpensive frames and frame each word to use for wall décor.
Create a main station where all guests can gather for facials. Set up a large table area with individual place settings using plain colored vinyl or paper place mats. On each mat, design a personalized name card for each guest. Add a paper plate filled with a dollop of a facial scrub mask (see recipe below), two cucumber slices for soothing eyes, and a moisturizer for applying after the mask. On the side, place a small plastic or paper bowl filled with warm water for cleansing off.
Set up mini make-up stations by dressing up an old vanity table or a student desk with a pretty lace runner or some crochet doilies. Place cotton balls and Q-tips in assorted colored glass jars for personal use. Add a large mirror for applying makeup and purchase a few inexpensive cosmetics including lip gloss, lipstick, eye shadow, and blush palettes from your local beauty supply store. Provide each guest with a cosmetic case—dollar stores generally have a variety of cosmetic pouches on sale. Girls can take turns sitting at the make-up station and applying make-up.
Set up a large bowl filled with nail polish at a table with chairs. Have guests take turns giving one another manicures. Include a nail dryer if you have one handy. Nail dryers can be purchased moderately at your local pharmacy.
Don’t forget to indulge guests with a fabulous foot soak. Pour warm water and lots of bubbles in two or three pastel colored basins. Scatter in a few fresh rose petals. Place throw rugs on the floor and add some comfy cushioned chairs such as a moon chair or a wicker chair dressed with pillows. Embellish this station with baskets containing glamour and fashion magazines for reading. Be sure also to roll up some towels tied with ribbons. In another basket, add flip-flops for each guest to use. Flip-flops can be bought inexpensively at your local dollar store or on clearance off-season.
A Spa-Luscious Buffet
Create an appealing and beautiful assorted buffet by serving the following foods:
- Blush punch. Purchase a pink fruit punch and mix in some lemon soda and slices of pink grapefruit to create a tasteful and colorful drink.
- Fruit smoothies. Blend yogurt, milk, and fresh fruit such as strawberries or peaches. Serve with cocktail straws.
- Cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches. Make these in dainty size by cutting up sliced bread sandwiches into quartered triangles. Adorn with colored tinsel toothpicks.
- Turkey and cheddar wrap rolls. Roll up turkey and cheddar cheese slices onto large wrap circles and then cut into mini pinwheel shapes and serve.
- Vegetable medley. Serve tasty and crisp vegetables including carrots, celery, and broccoli in a platter with a zesty ranch dressing.
- Fruit kabobs. Cut up fresh fruits such as watermelon, strawberries, grapes, and pineapples chunks. Layer fruits in colorful patterns onto large wooden skewers and arrange in a tall wide mouth vase for a delightful serving display.
- Strawberry and banana parfaits. Make a large tray of Jell-O ahead. Cut Jell-O into cubes and layer Jell-O cubes with strawberries and bananas. Top with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Finally, wrap up the party with an amusing game. Conduct a one-minute makeover. Give each guest a printable fashion head worksheet, which can be found on Google images. Hand out markers and have each girl create a cosmetic marker makeover in a minute or less. The most delightful diva face wins a prize.
Send guests home feeling beautiful! Create an assembly line table of baskets filled with travel size cosmetics such as lip balms, nail polishes, bubble baths, emery boards, lotions, soaps, hair accessories, etc. If you’re feeling extra crafty, purchase some combs and personalize them with paint markers and stick-on jewels. Guests can fill up their cosmetic bags with an assortment of beauty products.
Recipe for a Homemade Facial Scrub Mask
This honey oatmeal mask works double duty as both a toner and a moisturizer. The oats will naturally tone and soften, while the yogurt and honey provide moisture for smooth and silky skin.
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1¼ cup oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons honey
Mix into a paste. Smooth a small amount over face. Leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.
Sandra Giordano is an avid crafter, teacher, and experienced party planning mom from Clifton, NJ.