Wheaton Springs 2019
1501 Glasstown Rd.
DATE / TIME
Apr 06, 2019 - Apr 06, 2019
10:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Saturday, April 6, 2019
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Wheaton Springs 2019 is a new “kick-off” event celebrating WheatonArts and its Visitors!
During this event, admission to all WheatonArts exhibits and artist studio demonstrations are FREE
and open to the public, part of “Family Days! Presented by PNC Arts Alive!”
Experience the Spring Festival: Asian New Year Celebrations in the Event Center, explore the new Museum of American Glass exhibit Emanation 2019 with a guided tour, create unique glass fused magnets in the Education Studio, discover the art of paper making, ceramic wheel-throwing, and glassblowing with special demonstrations, and more!
Schedule of Events
Mix and choose how to spend your day at WheatonArts! (Schedule is subject to change)
Museum of American Glass
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Collection exhibits and the new Emanation 2019 exhibit are open to the public
11:30 a.m. – Director’s tour of Emanation 2019
2:30 p.m. – Guided tour of Emanation 2019
Down Jersey Folklife Center
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – “The Old Masters: Buddhist Art & Pottery” exhibit is open to the public
1 p.m. – Dragon & Lion Dances at the GateHouse leading to Event Center
1 p.m. to 5 p.m. – “Spring Festival: Asian New Year Celebrations” (see information below)
10:30 a.m. – Guided tour by CU Naturalist, Jane Galetto
1:30 p.m. – Guided tour by CU Naturalist, Jane Galetto
10 a.m. to 11 a.m. – Pre-Registered Glass Bubble Blowing. Click Here to Register!
11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. – General Glass Blowing
3:30 p.m. – Chinese Lantern Demonstration
10 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Asian Pottery Demonstrations
11 a.m. – Kiln Tour with Resident Potter, Terry Plasket
1 p.m. to 2 p.m. – Closed for Lunch
2 p.m. – Kiln Tour with Resident Potter, Terry Plasket
2 p.m. to 5 p.m. – Asian Pottery Demonstrations
10 a.m. to 1 pm. – Paper making demonstrations
1 p.m. to 2 p.m. – Closed for Lunch
2 p.m. to 5 p.m. – Paper making demonstrations
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Create your own glass magnet by fusing together pieces of glass! Cost is $10 per person (discounted for the Event). Register today at 856.825.6800 ext. 152.
Museum Stores & Café
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Museum Stores are Open
11 a.m. to 3 p.m. – The new GateHouse Cafe is Open
Spring Festival: Asian New Year Celebrations
Join us in the Event Center from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
for a vivid introduction to the unique Asian
traditions associated with the celebration
of the Lunar New Year!
The festivities will begin with a Dragon Dance and a Lion Dance, as well as ceremonies welcoming the Year of the Wild Boar (also referred to as the Year of the Pig). Narrated music and dance performances will follow featuring Cambodian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Malaysian, and Indonesian Dances, along with musical performances on the Erhu (Chinese two-stringed fiddle) and the Yangqin (Chinese hammered dulcimer).
Special demonstrations of folk and traditional arts will be offered, providing unique experiences using old imagery with present-day creativity, including Chinese paper lanterns, paper cutting, brush painting, woodblock prints, calligraphy, and knotting; Vietnamese chainmail; Japanese origami; Filipino eggshell mosaics, palaspas, and baybayin writing; as well as Burmese weaving.
Opening Performance: 1 p.m.
(Entrance of Event Center)
Dragon & Lion Dance: Asian Club, Atlantic City Dance Group
Spring Festival Stage Program: 1:20 p.m. to 3:10 p.m.
MC: Nathan Nhan and Farabi Farokue
- Cambodian “Blessing” Dance (Robam Choun Por): Reaksmey Sareypheap Khmer Dance Troupe
- Chinese “New Year” Dance (Contemporary Interpretation): Asian Club, Atlantic City Dance Group
- Indonesian “Coming of Age” Dance (Tari Kembang Girang): Modero & Company Dance Group
- Vietnamese “Hat” Dance (Contemporary Interpretation): Asian Club, Atlantic City Dance Group
- Cambodian “Lady in a Line” Dance (RobamNearyCheaChour): Reaksmey Sareypheap Khmer Dance Troupe
- Chinese “Lotus” Dance (Contemporary Interpretation): Asian Club, Atlantic City Dance Group
- “Kung Fu Fan” Dance: Asian Club, Atlantic City Dance Group
- Chinese “Double Fan” Dance (Contemporary Interpretation): Asian Club, Atlantic City Dance Group
- Cambodian Dance of “Heavenly Gods and Goddesses” (RobamTepMonorom): Khmer Dance Troupe
- Musical Performance: Qin Qian (Erhi) and Kurt Jung (Yangchin)
- Eastern Javanese “Greeting” Dance (Tari Jejer Gandrung): Modero & Company Dance Group
- Western Javanese Traditional Dance (Tari Bajidor Kahot): Modero & Company Dance Group
- Lion Dance (Farewell): Asian Club, Atlantic City Dance Group
Hands-on Demonstrations: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Myanmar Karen weaving with Cloh Paw and Hser Ku
- Philippine Eggshell mosaic with Ameurfina Nazario
- Philippine Palaspas (palm weaving) hands-on projects with Mirinisa Myers
- Philippine Baybayin Script with Amber Myers
- Japanese Origami hands-on projects with Sam Ita
- Chinese Brush painting with Linda C. Chiu
- Chinese Papercutting hands-on projects with Xinyi Huang
- Chinese Block printing hands-on projects with Shulan Hwang
- Chinese Knotting hands-on projects with Hsing Ling Kong
- Chinese Calligraphy with David Tayu Chang
- Chinese Papercutting special demonstration by Hou-Tien Cheng
- Chinese Lanterns for children with Rong Shuang Wang