30th Annual Union County Spring Garden Fair and Plant Sale
Trailside Nature and Science Center
452 New Providence Rd.
DATE / TIME
May 19, 2019 - May 19, 2019
12:00 PM - 04:00 PM
Gardening enthusiasts can stock up on plants, seedlings and other supplies — and shop for a cause, too — at the 30th annual Master Gardeners of Union County Spring Garden Fair and Plant Sale. The Spring Garden Fair is known for a large selection of flowers, herbs, and vegetables including the popular Ramapo and Rutgers 250 tomatoes.
The event takes place on Sunday, May 19, from noon to 4:00 p.m., on the grounds of the Union County Demonstration Garden at the Trailside Nature and Science Center in the Watchung Reservation, 452 New Providence Road in Mountainside. All proceeds from sales at the Garden Fair go to support the many community service projects of Master Gardener volunteers, including donations of fresh produce to local food pantries, educational events for youth and adults, programs for people with special needs, and more.
Along with plants, baked goods, crafts, and gently used garden supplies for sale, the Spring Garden Fair offers free activities for gardeners of all ages including:
- Guided tours of the Demonstration Garden including the vegetable and herb gardens.
- Displays and information for Square Foot Gardening, Invasive Plants and Mosquito Control.
- Information on joining the Rutgers Master Gardeners, Environmental Stewards and 4-H Master Tree Stewards.
- Children’s activities (children must be accompanied by parent or guardian).
- Garden clinic and Rutgers information fact sheets for troubleshooting garden problems.
- Attendees can bring plant and insect samples for diagnosis.
- Rutgers soil test kits are available for sale.
Free parking is located nearby at the Trailside Nature and Science Center parking lot and the Scout Camping Area in the Watchung Reservation. Additional free parking is available in the Loop playground area, located a short walk away on the other side of the Trailside Center.