Chances are, you’ve caught wind of the whole boo bag craze, but do you really know what it’s all about? If you’re looking to pump up the Halloween spirit in your neighborhood, boo bags are for you. Super simple and fun for the whole family, all you have to do is:
1. Pick a lucky neighbor to “boo” (or two, or three—the more people you’ve got participating, the more fun it will be!). Don’t tell them they’re about to get boo’d—being anonymous is half the fun!
2. Bundle up a bag of goodies—think candy, cookies (store-bought or homemade—anything goes!), Halloween stickers and maybe even a few little tchotchke toys for the kids maybe a bottle of wine for the grownups.
3. Attach a poem—This is the boo bag way of telling your neighbor what to do next. Not a poet? No problem. There are plenty of boo bag poems floating around the Internet (check out one of our faves below!).
4. Have the kids create and decorate a sign that says “We’ve Been Boo’d!” And remember: The brighter the better! If all goes well, it won’t be long before the boo bag catches on and the whole neighborhood is covered with these signs.
5. Leave the boo bag on your neighbor’s front stoop and tape the sign on their door.
If you’re starting the boo bag tradition your community, be sure to get your bags out about two or three weeks before Halloween. That way, your neighbors have plenty of time to do some booing of their own. Halloween is full of surprises, so be sure not to tell anyone whom you plan to boo!
Need some inspiration for your poem? Check out this boo bag poem from beenbooed.com:
The phantom ghost has come to town
To leave some goodies…I see you’ve found.
If you wish to make this a happier fall…
Continue this greeting, this phantom call.
First, post this Phantom where it can be seen,
And leave it there until Halloween.
This will scare other Phantoms who may visit.
Be sure to participate, you don’t want to miss it!
Second, make two treats & two copies from
Deliver them to two neighbors, try to stay calm.
Don’t let them see you, be sneaky, no doubt
And make sure they put their Phantom Ghost out!
Next, you have only one day to act, so be quick!
Leave it at doors where the Phantom hasn’t hit.
Deliver at dark when there isn’t much light…
Ring the doorbell and run, and stay out of sight!!
And last, but not least, come join in the season.
Don’t worry, be happy, you need no good reason.
This is all in good fun and we are just trying to say…
Happy Halloween & Have a Great Day!
We’ve gathered a few printables for you and your little boos to try at home: