This recipe for Burger and Shoestring Fries from Produce for Better Health and the U.S. Potato Board follows the USDA's new MyPlate guidelines that say to fill half your plate with fruits and veggies.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (5% fat), thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 4 leaves red lettuce (or other leaf lettuce)
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 8 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 4 cups frozen shoestring French fries
- In a medium bowl, mix ground beef with seasonings; shape into patties. Grill or pan fry. Bake shoestring French fries according to package directions.
- To complete the meal, serve with about 3/4 cup blueberry, red raspberry. and kiwi medley, or other fresh, frozen, or canned fruit medley, and sparkling water with a lemon slice or wedge.