Why You Need to Visit the Sussex County Sunflower Maze This Weekend
The sunflowers are only in full bloom for a few short weeks a year. Now’s the time to see this magnificent hidden gem of northern New Jersey.
The Sussex County Sunflower maze was something I stumbled upon a few years ago strictly by accident when my then 7-year-old daughter noticed a sign on the side of the road. We’ve gone every single year since and it’s part of our “end of summer/welcome fall” tradition, even more so than apple picking.
The maze moved last year to its new home which means it’s even bigger and better, and an absolutely magical experience for kids and adults. We love wandering the throngs of flowers—there are 23 varieties this year. Check out the different heights and colors and be sure to head to the back field to see the gorgeous red ones.
I’ve dragged just about everyone I know to see this vibrant maze, and recommend you head out ASAP to see it before the sunflowers fade and you have to wait until late August 2018 to see them in bloom again.
- Bring an umbrella if it’s sunny. Those open fields are HOT, and it will give you shade and make you easier to spot if you get separated from the kids as they’re running around.
- Wear close-toed shoes. Sure sandals are nice, but it’s an uneven field with rocks and dirt. Sneakers are a much better bet.
- Strollers are allowed, but the maze has an uneven and muddy surface (depending on the day), so they could be tough to push.
- Check out the Sunflower Maze’s Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/sunflowersnj/) for daily updates on the status of the fields.
- Get there early! This has become a super popular spot over the years. This past weekend we had to park about a half mile down the road… and we got lucky. People were parking much further away.
101 Rte. 645, Sandyston
Need more reasons to go? Just look at the pics below! This place was made for your Instagram