Archive »Salads & Sweets to Start the Summer
Archive »Editors' Picks
Mix up mealtime with a new oatmeal recipe your family will love. Yum!
Get cooking with this all-star, easy-to-follow drumstick recipe!
|Ingredients:||1 Oblong watermelon
Melon baller or other scoop spoon
Channel knife (you can substitute with the top of a standard vegetable peeler)
Dry erase marker
2 Peppercorns, or other eye pieces
Leaves, plants, or other accents as desired
Toothpicks or other skewers
|Directions:||1. Choose an oblong seedless watermelon for carving.
2. Wash watermelon and pat dry.
3. Cut in half lengthwise.
4. Hollow out both sides, using a melon baller.
5. Carve out block design in the bottom side, using a channel knife. (Copy from photo).
6. Use a dry erase marker to trace turtle shell, legs, and head on top side of watermelon.
7. Carve shapes with knife, and add designs with channel knife.
8. Add peppercorns to the eye holes to fill.
9. Fill bottom with fruit salad.
10. Attach legs and head to shell, using strong toothpicks or skewers, and put on top of salad. Add accents around base with leaves and plants.
|Source URL:||National Watermelon Promotion Board|