Sticky Orange Drumsticks
Get cooking with this all-star, easy-to-follow drumstick recipe!
Drumsticks are one of those things that appeals to the child in all of us. My daughter loves getting messy eating these, and we do, too. Be sure you allow for enough time to marinate the drumsticks—at least 3 hours.
Naptime Stopwatch: 15 minutes prep time, 45 minutes cook time
Yield: Makes 4 servings
• 3 tablespoons honey
• zest and juice of 1 large orange
• 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
• 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2 pounds)
• 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, orange zest and juice, dark soy sauce, and light soy sauce. Set the marinade aside.
2. Make 3 slashes about 1/4-inch wide on the top of each drumstick to help them absorb the marinade, and fit the drumsticks snugly into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Pour the marinade into the dish, turning each drumstick around one full rotation to evenly coat it with the marinade. Cover the dish and refrigerate the drumsticks for at least 3 hours, or up to 1 day.
3. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
4. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the drumsticks on it, skin-side up. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the drumsticks and bake them for 45 minutes, brushing them with the leftover marinade halfway through. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly. Serve warm.
Anna’s notes: I often prepare these in the morning since the chicken can stay refrigerated for up to a day before being baked. My kids ate these drumsticks three nights in a row, and it would have been four if I had let them!
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Naptime Chef © 2012 by Kelsey Banfield, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.
YUM! Want more recipes?