Living in Westfield
Spanning a little less than seven square miles, this Union County town has a main drag loved by both locals and out-of-towners.
- Founded in 1794 as Westfield Township, it became the town of Westfield in 1903.
- Population: 30,206
- Average Home Sale Price: $736,097
- Median Household Income: $146,734
- Population is based on 2016 US Census data. Average home sale price is based on 2017 NJ Division of Taxation data. Median household income is based on 2015 US Census data.
• 16 Prospect: Live music, upscale bar food (all made in-house, including the bread) and an extensive wine menu make this a town hot spot.
• Chez Catherine: A date night staple, this French restaurant serves up Tendre de Boeuf aux Morilles (Angus beef shoulder tenderloin) or Duo d’Agneau Printanier (oven-roasted lavender lamb loin) for a fancy dinner.
• Ferraro’s: This Italian spot (not pictured) has allergy-sensitive and gluten-free dishes. Take advantage of outdoor dining and valet parking.
• Kilwins: You’ll find tons of treats and killer ice cream in this full-scale candy shop. Smell the delicious fudge through the front window before you even walk in.
• Bovella’s Bakery: This spot whips up next-level cakes and cute character cupcakes for the kids. Fun fact: You can even make a cross-country delivery to your homesick college kid.
• Glamorous Girlz: Girls can get haircuts, mani/pedis and glitter tattoos before walking the runway at this fave birthday party locale.
• Trader Joe’s: This isn’t just any TJs. It’s one of only two in NJ (the other is in Princeton) that sells the chain’s beloved Charles Shaw wines, also known as Two Buck Chuck.
PHOTO COURTESY OF MEAGHAN MURPHY
• Towne Barber Shoppe: Established in 1946, this spot is a throwback, twirling barber poles and all. Boys get a paper airplane and lollipop on their way out.
• Baron’s Drugstore: In business since 1936, this is a place where the pharmacist knows your name and you can still charge your prescription to a house account or have it delivered to your door. The shop has a little bit of everything, but kids especially love the 5-cent candy section.
• Castle Bootery: A favorite in town for more than 65 years, this shoe store does custom fittings and even offers monthly shoe-tying classes for preschoolers.
THE FARMHOUSE STORE PHOTO COURTESY OF ED MENAPACE
• The Farmhouse Store: “Think everything from soaps, candles and fun message socks to NJ-themed wall art, dish towels and pillows,” says Westfield’s Chief Spirit Officer (AKA the town’s official cheerleader) Meaghan Murphy, a mom of three who’s dubbed her hometown ‘Bestfield.’ “They have beautiful rugs [and] unique finds from Paris and overseas scouting trips by owner Ed Menapace. It’s also the home of the best Girls’ Night Out parties!”
PHOTO COURTESY OF MEAGHAN MURPHY
• Pizza Run 5K: Tackle 3 miles and get rewarded with pizza.
• FestiFall: This street fair’s jampacked with music, food trucks and shopping.
• Downtown Jazz Fest: Every Tuesday in the summer
• Halloween Parade and Costume Contest: A town favorite
• Charles Addams, creator of the Addams Family
• Dr. Virginia Apgar, who developed the renowned 5-point Apgar test for newborns
• Jessica St. Clair, a comedian from USA’s Playing House