Campfire Breakfast Potatoes
These campfire breakfast potatoes are a flavorful addition to a camping breakfast.
Serve campfire breakfast potatoes to please every camper no matter what their age! Carbs are vital to the everyday diet, especially when maintaining an active lifestyle. These campfire breakfast potatoes are a flavorful addition to a camping breakfast.
What you'll need:
- 5 lbs (about 6) russet potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Skillet, preferably cast iron
Before you leave home:
1. Cube potatoes and place into a ziplock bag.
2. Toss potatoes with 2 tbl of olive oil in the bag.
3. Place pre-cut onions and peppers into separate bags.
At the campsite:
1. Coat the bottom of the pan with a thin layer of olive oil, about 2 tablespoons, and place the pan over the coals of your campfire, on a grate.
2. Add the onion and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes and peppers. Stir to coat.
4. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes, until potatoes start to brown.
5. Add a few tablespoons of water, and cover with foil to steam for about 5 minutes.
6. Add seasonings, continue to stir occasionally until fully browned, crispy, and tender in the middle.
7. Serve alongside your favorite other camping breakfast items.
Recipe inspired by our friends at dirtygourmet.com, whose mission is to inspire gourmet outdoor cooking with easy camping recipes and ideas.